Nel    10

f0f1efe7-dedc-473b-b232-7ea9127b48d3-1.jOne of my great, great grandfathers was Reverend William Erskine Reed. He was born in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania on February 25, 1825. William Erskine Reed's parents were William O. Reed and Margaret McKean. At some point, his family moved to Jackson County, Iowa. There he began his career in the military at the age of 16 (1841) when he joined the Brush Creek Rangers, for which his father, William Reed, was a drill sergeant. Continuing back through the Reed line, his paternal grandparents were William Erskine Reed and Jane Gilkey.

In the 1850s, William Erskine Reed caught gold fever like everyone else and headed out to California to participate in the Gold Rush. He returned two years later. He was married to Samantha LaVina Hough on May 16, 1852.

In 1856, his residence was Fairfield in Jackson County, Iowa.

In 1862, he became an ordained Baptist minister.

In 1892, he moved to Egan, South Dakota.

In 1905, he died in Sturgis, South Dakota.

Here's a story I found on Ancestry.com. I'm trying to hunt down what book it originally came from. If you know, please send me a private message.

After William (3) returned in 1813 from the War of 1812, he married Margaret, daughter of Hugh McKean of Mercer County. They had five daughters: Jane, Mary, Rebecca, Nancy and Margaret; and two sons: Hugh and William Erskine.

In 1842, William (3) Reed resolved to emigrate with his family to what was then the extreme frontier--Iowa Territory. They came by steamboat down the Ohio and up the Mississippi, landing at Bloomington (New Muscatine) on June 14th. From there they started north with two yoke of oxen and a wagon. When they reached the mouth of Brophy's Creek on the Wapsipinicon River in Clinton county, the mother (Margaret Reed) was taken sick and died there August 15,1842. She was buried in the North Bend graveyard near the claim which her husband had taken near the Maquoketa river above the mouth of Rock Creek in Fairfield township. William (3) Reed, the father, returned to Pennsylvania in later years and died in Mercer county in 1864, aged 72 years. His son, Hugh M. died in Jackson county, Iowa, February 25, 1871, aged 54. The oldest daughter Jane (Taylor) removed to Illinois and died in 1896 at the age of 82. Threee daughters, Mary E., Rebecca A., and Margaret A., married three brothers, Len, Morris, and Thomas Hilyard, who were prominent pioneers of Fairfield township. They were all among the early emigrants to California, and died there. Another daughter, Nancy (Hodges) died at Sergeant's Bluff, Iowa, August 26, 1904 aged 81 years. William E. (4), began his military career at the age of 16 with the Brush Creek Rangers.

Edited by Nel

Nel    10

Here's a sermon that my great, great grandfather gave to his congregation.

“All Gone” by Rev. William Erskine Reed, Oct. 1878.

It is now thirty-six years since I settled in Fairfield Township, Jackson County, Iowa. The Indians then were quite numerous, so they frequented our house for the purpose of begging, and trading. One morning in june, (1844) before I had breakfast: a big, stalwart Indian made his appearance, but I saw at once he was up for trade: but as he had nothing with him but his gun, I was at a loss to know what he wanted to trade: but an Indian is never at a loss to know how to convey his ideas. He snatched up a piece of board that had a hole in it, and began running his finger to and from the hole, and at the same time going oo-oo-oo: trying to make a noise resembling bees. He had found a bee tree, it was a large one, (and he was too lazy to cut it down.) extending his arms out wide to show the size of the tree, he said, “big, heaps, heaps ommo, (honey) and he wanted to trade it for connabin and souah, (corn meal, and flour).

As I had not seen the tree, and knowing the “Ingins” to be a little trickey; it took us a long time to make the trade.

But finally we agreed; and he took his connabin and souah on his back, and started to sow me the tree. The trail then followed the ridge from the mouth of rock-creek where I was then living, to Hillyard’s ferry: near where the “Iron Bridge” is now. As we walked along I was before, and looking back I discovered a look of sadness, and I though also of revenge, on the red-man’s face; that caused me to feel a little suspicious: so I kept watching him closely. Every now and then he would cast a glance across the hills on rock-creek and mutter something I did not understand.

But as I had my gun and butcher-knife along, (as was customary for everyone to carry such weapons then.) I felt but little fear, as my gun never missed fire, and I was a dead shot. Finally he suddenly stopped, and squaring himself around with his face to the south, and pointing towards the head waters of Rock Creek, said: with deep emotion: +“Mocoman; Waungsheegra pocheeta; heaps, heaps pchucks.Waungsheegra heaps big: All Gone! Mocoman oah tschoosqunee noh.” (+ Whiteman, when I was young, deer was plenty on those hills; but now when I am old they are All Gone! Whiteman destroyed them: Poor Indian [unreadable] ve!) A tear started from the red man’s eye, but returned to its fount. His sorrow was too deep for tears.

It is said that there is nothing forgotten: it is only laid by, so to be called up by circumstances in after life; and verily, it is true. Paul says, “the things that are seen are temporal, but the things that are not seen are eternal. The mind is not seen; and therefore it is eternal. And all the impressions made upon it, is for eternity; if they are never called up by circumstance in this life, they will sure to be in the next; and doubtless give us pain or pleasure.

All gone, ye, All Gone!

Coming past the same spot the other day, (which I have past thousands of times,) my mind reverted back to the scene just related: and it came up before me as vividly, as though it was the day it happened: and I began to recount the: ‘All Gones.’

As I had just come up a hill, as the road does not follow the ridge; I found my youthful vigor and elasticity, was: “All Gone.” And then remembering my old comrades, with whom I used to hunt and fish: and have had such great enjoyment.

“All gone. Alas! All gone.

And then to my scholars whom I tried to train up for useful lives; and they were ‘All gone.’ Those I tried to teach to sing the songs of Zion. “All gone.”

Those with whom I met to worship God. Alas! Alas! All G-o-n-e—

Where is the sainted Rowley, that officiated at the first funeral, (outside our own family,) that I was at in Iowa? Gone to Glory. Where is Butler, the Faithful? Gone to Kansas, soon to pass on to Glory.

These, two, old veterans of the Cross were ever ready with a Prayer, or, Exortation, whenever such services were needed: and were the seed of all the piety North Bend ever possessed.

Where are all the others that frequented the house of God, and confessed the Lord Jesus Christ to be their Saviour, and took part in the divine worship of God? All Gone. Some to their reward: many moved away; and some are gone a fishing: and some alas! Have returned to the flesh-pots of Egypt.

Where is the prayer-meetings, Sabbath assemblies, and churches, that flourished in their day? “All gone.” The piety? All gone? Waungsheegra old. (tears)

The poor Indian was driven to leave the country of his birth, because the approaching white man had destroyed his only means of support. (the game.) Little did he think, when with joy he returned from the chase with the spoil, to his beloved Ennugra: (woman or wife.) that the day would soon come, when circumstances would compel home to leave his country; and the burial grounds of his fathers, and try the realities of the unknown.

All gone. Yes professor: you think your opportunities are very meager; and you are excusable for not improving them, they are so very small. But remember! You; are not to dispise the day of small things; and the day is coming when they will be, All gone. And the past opportunities unimproved will ever haunt you with phantoms of sorrow. Deep, sorrow.

“Be wise to day,” and imitate the Saviour, who was ever, and anon; going about doing good: setting us an example, that we should follow in his steps. And he loves to see his children following his example.

His command is, go work to day, in my vineyard; for now is the accepted time, and now is the day of salvation.

All gone! Yes, sinner; you are enjoying yourself now, in the active pursuits of life; and it may be in pleasurable sin.You do not feel now that there will ever be a change in your feelings and delights: you think that; that, that is pleasing, still will please, but you are greatly mistaken: the very things that gives you pleasure now; will be agonizing in age, death, and eternity. Desire shall fail. All gone; yes all the golden opportunities of embracing the Saviour, all the sermons, prayers, and exhortations will be all gone. The strivings of the Spirit, will be all gone; and you will be away down in the sink of a mis-spent life: beholding the rough wall which you have decended step by step, with only enough of the sun-light of heaven to show you plainly what you have lost: with all the acts of your lives; lost opportunities, and missimproved time, and talents, standing upon the brink of eternity – with a sorrow of heart too deep for tears – beholding with a shudder of deep emotion the abyss below; you will utter – All Gone!